There is far too much shame in our culture. In these days of a global pandemic we might liken shame to a similar virus...one that is everywhere and, although invisible, doing great damage!
Think about it: We are shamed for being anything but heterosexual, for choosing not to marry or for choosing not to have children. It is shameful to even have certain (or any?) sexual needs and desires. We are shamed if we are not sexually available and too sexually available, too sexy an
In the early 1980s, a porn film called “Cafe Flesh” was released. It was weird and artsy, with great lighting, funky costumes and sharp dialogue. The producers had ended up making it as a porno because that was the only way they could get funding for it. The premise was simple: after World War 3 destroys most of civilization, people are so heartbroken that touching another person makes them physically ill. Only 10% of the population can still have sex, and the other 90% goes
It’s been weeks since we’ve been able to touch a human being, who we don’t live with. That means no hugs from our parents. Beloved nieces and nephews no longer just plop down on our laps. The soothing touch of our favorite manicurists, pedicurists, or massage therapists are long lost. Handshakes are in danger of extinction. There have been no spontaneous high fives. Read the article here.